Chapter 3 - Unexpected Heroes (authors note, This chapter is basically a description of Episode 3 'The hair of the dog that bit you' But from Joe's point of view) "What's the point! I'm going to die out here!" Joe shouted angrily at himself, he shivered violently and huddled himself together even more tightly. His ragged clothing was still wet from the night before and Joe was beginning to feel the effects of the cold. The night was brilliant and clear, which contrasted to the heavy downpour previously but not for the better as the lack of clouds and any form of warmth was non-existent for Joe to use. In his hopelessness he pulled one of the few possessions he had from a small pocket inside his jacket and proceeded to read it. It was a rolled up comic book that he had 'found' in a public park. It told stories of a famous group of mutant dogs that saved the world on a near daily basis. He could remember exact lines, catchphrases and even give a full profile of each character from just this one comic. It did not help that it was his soul source of entertainment for the last few days but he was addicted to the idea of such a heroic group of sensitive and caring dogs that were loyal to both their duties and their masters. Oh how he wished that same group would just see him and take him away from the life he had the displeasure to experience. Suddenly a large pack of wolves raced past the window of the building, they seemed to be fleeing from something. Fearing a rather vicious and bloody death, Joe got to his feet and was about to leave when he heard the unusual sound of a London bus being revved to extreme measures and the screeching of tyres. He ran to the window and saw the large red missile thundering down a nearby street and then turning down the street he was on. He was terrified but exhilarated at the same time and the excitement peaked when he saw them. Mutant dog figures wearing green tops, tucked into slim black jeans and large army boots. The group of canines suddenly leapt from the red tour bus as it crashed onto it's side. Joe blinked hard as he saw them properly for the first time, a large white sheepdog clambered from the wreckage followed by a smaller Doberman. "You are the worst driver in the world!" It said angrily in a deep German accent, which only made Joe question his sanity further as the dogs proceeded to fight the wolves. A glamorous collie then spoke leaning on the over turned bus. "If you don't mind, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend" It said in a feminine cockney accent and pulled out a large weapon shaped like a large launcher. "We're going steady" She then pulled the large leaver and the weapon fired what looked like a soapy car washing sponge. The projectile hit one of the wolves in the mouth and sent it flying into the hedgerow behind it. Joe began to cheer quietly for the group of canines as a slightly taller golden retriever mix stood on top of the bus with another weapon in hand. This one looked like a more conventional army spec weapon but still stood out as rather odd to Joe. "Maybe they'd like to play a game of catch" He said confidently in his relaxed American accent, loading the weapon. Joe turned his attention to the door way and decided he should probably try and help the new 'heroes'. Not thinking of his own safety he sprinted for the door and was crouched down behind the fence. "What if they attack me as well?" He asked himself. He then herd the American dog talking to another, which on closer inspection, was the huge sheepdog from earlier. Joe's jaw simply dropped when the retriever pulled out an even larger weapon, this one looking like an oversized RPG launcher. "Where did he get that from?" Joe asked himself as the retriever handed the launcher to the huge mop that looked incapable of holding a cup. It took aim and fired. To Joe's surprise he saw the missile headed straight for him! Ducking down lower he braced for the explosion as the rocket made contact with the already weak building, obliterating it. The shockwave knocking Joe into the fencing and the heat burning his arm and leg. The building began to crumble and pieces fell randomly from the sky landing all around Joe. He felt something large and weighty hit him on the back of the head and his vision began to blur. Feeling weak he tried to call for help but could only collapse, over come by the darkness.